HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
David W Babson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Jun 2012 18:46:57 +0000
I'm saddened to hear of Bill Rathje's passing.  His "Rubbish! The Archaeology of Landfills" is one of the better-written crossover books in archaeology (works with both a scholarly and public appeal), and it remains a great introductory text.  It not only shows students that archaeology is fun, but is also an excellent, direct counter to their assumption that archaeology is pyramids, mummies (the landfill hotdogs notwithstanding!) and Indiana Jones.  I was privileged to hear Bill Rathje speak at Illinois State University, going on 20 years ago, and he was a fascinating speaker.  He was one of the greats.

D. Babson.