HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Oct 2011 10:30:54 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (32 lines)
Megan, 

Susan Branstner conducted excavations on Lime Island, in the St. Mary's River in 1990. The focus was more on an associated structure, but there should be data included concerning the lime kilns, too. The report would be on file at the OSA in Lansing, Michigan.

There are also lime kilns in Delphi, Indiana at the Wabash-Erie Canal Park, (see www.wabashanderiecanal.org/). Excavations have been conducted in the park and may include the kilns, in which case Indiana's OSA should have copies, as well as the Wabash and Erie Canal Association.

Misty

Misty Jackson, Ph.D., RPA
Arbre Croche Cultural Resources
214 South Main Street
Leslie, Michigan 49251

On Oct 24, 2011, at 3:54 PM, Megan Bailey wrote:

> Hello,
> 
> I worked on an excavation in Maryland that revealed what looks like a lime kiln, which is believed to be associated with an 18th/19th c. plantation. While I've found some historical and technical information on lime kilns, I haven't found many archaeological reports that address this type of structure. I know that a similar question was asked on this listserv about a decade ago, and some of the responses have been useful, but if anyone has more recent info, that would be much appreciated. 
> Thanks in advance - 
> 
> Megan 
> 
> ---------
> 
> 
> Megan Bailey, M.A. 
> PhD. student
> Department of Anthropology
> University of Maryland, College Park
> [log in to unmask]