HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
George Myers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 Aug 2011 14:07:06 -0700
I would think a similar project would be wonderful at the William Floyd Manor, part of the Fire Island National Seashore Wilderness, in Mastic and Shirley, Long Island, NY administered by the NPS. On nearby Shelter Island, some wonderful archaeology has been conducted at the former Sylvester Manor and can be seen online. I worked on the historical archaeology of the Floyd property just before and after it was donated to the people of the U.S. The large property is on the Great South Bay which once had other inlets for trade since filled by accident and nature. It is on the Forge River shared with the Poospatuck (Unkechauge) Indian Nation. Some of the Founding Fathers have been known on their visit there, after the cessation of the hostilities, and to have collected some of the native words in use.

William Floyd was important in the early politics of New York and a signer of the Declaration of Independence. He served as a General in the Revolutionary War in Upstate NY, where he's interred. The property during it is said was occupied and timber cut-off by the British Army. William Floyd's sister was married to Ezra L'Hommedieu, a lawyer also in the politics of the state and was New York's first head of the Board of Regents. He also held some property together with William Floyd.

It would be nice if somehow a similar scientific study could be conducted there in my opinion.