HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Christian R Williamson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Aug 2011 10:42:17 -0400
Teagan,

We've found evidence of bone button production - both single hole bone discs and the long bones with blanks cut out - on the upper terraces of a 19th century urban house compound in St. Thomas, USVI occupied by a Danish family and then rented out by a Scottish merchant.  I'm currently writing up the findings as part of my dissertation and would be more than happy to share the data when finished.

In case you haven't come across it, Klippel and Schroedl wrote an excellent article on bone button production by African slave craftsmen at Brimstone Hill in St. Kitts ( Post-Medieval Archaeology 1999 33:222-232), where they recovered similar single-hole bone discs made from pig, cattle, sheep, goat and turtle bones as well as the production tools.

Email me if you would like to talk about this more.

Christian Williamson
Doctoral Candidate
Syracuse University