Wed, 6 Jul 2011 10:27:25 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (14 lines)
Sent: Tuesday, July 05, 2011 8:11 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: New York State Museum Archaeology Programs Targeted

Dear All:  I have recently learned that the New York State Education Department and the New York State Museum are effectively gutting their century plus old archaeology program.  Christina Rieth, State Archaeologist; Jon Lothrop, curator of archaeology; and Chuck Orser, curator of historic archaeology, were all served layoff notices effective in three weeks unless their union negotiates a contract settlement.  I have heard that NY State Museum administration was not consulted on the layoff plan nor were they informed until the layoff notices were served.

This action is not unique but only the most recent incident of many museums being targeted for substantial budget cuts as cultural institutions are viewed as inessential to economic recovery and contribution to future growth.   I urge the archaeological community to mobilize in protest of this action, and to inform the New York State governor, commissioner of education, and chancellor of the board of regents  of the importance of the New York State Museum and its archaeology programs in particular.

Thanks, and if you share my sentiments over this action I hope you will all join me in writing the appropriate parties with you concerns,

Bill Lovis

ATOM RSS1 RSS2