HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Barbara Voss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Jun 2011 08:35:14 -0700
Dear Alasdair and everyone else who responded both on- and off-list -

Thanks so much for all the great suggestions. Alasdair, I agree that it is far more likely that the bottles came from a nearby source than were shipped from San Francisco (or from Michigan - another location were beverages branded as Salutaris were produced en masses) to England. It is interesting, as you note, that bottles were rarely shipped far from their point of manufacture during this period, which is a sharp contrast with the global flows of material culture that were well established otherwise.

I always learn so much from this list. Thanks again everyone!
--Barb

Barbara L. Voss, Associate Professor
Department of Anthropology
450 Serra Mall, Bldg. 50, Main Quad