HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Bob Skiles <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Nov 2010 23:55:53 -0600
Alex,

It looks like a rather typical water storage cistern; rainwater from roofs
was collected by guttering and downspouts and piped into the underground
tank. The bottom is likely bricked, but probably about 1.5-2m deeper than
you reached. They are common in areas of the country not blessed with
shallow and potable ground water (in a swath of country with a dearth of
wells there is usually a surfeit of cisterns).

Best regards,
Bob Skiles