HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
scarlett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Nov 2010 14:16:36 -0500
Ben and everyone,

All earthenware sherds, including cream-colored ware (cc-ware,
"creamware"), are porous enough that a fragment will easily absorb
water from the broken edges, regardless of scratches in the glaze.  As
we've all pointed out, along with the water will come dissolved salts,
minerals, and perhaps metal ions.  The fabric will move water through
pores in the ceramic pretty quickly, so long as the fabric isn't non-
porous and totally vitrified (which by definition, isn't possible for
cc-ware).

Most cc-ware ceramics were manufactured by either slip-casting in
plaster molds, thrown and lathed for high end ceramics, then jolly/jig
manufactured after 1840.  I don't know if any archaeologists have
studied this, but if you dig into the ceramics engineering literature
from the early 20th century, I bet you will find some clues about how
the microscopic clay crystals orient themselves and how impurities
lead to micro-fractures as a result of these manufacturing processes.

Perhaps the slip cast process causes the clay crystals and other
ingredients to pack more tightly at the surfaces of the mold, while
the interior of the ceramic is of less-densely concentrated material
with a higher percentage of voids.  Jig or Jolly work, which combines
the wheel, mold, and lathe into a single machine, may also cause fewer
microscopic voids at the surface of the vessels as it compresses one
side against the rib and the other against the mold.  These are just
guesses, however. It is worth noting that cc-ware was made with highly
processed raw material that was milled, sifted, stirred in solution,
and pug-milled. None of these manufacture techniques will produce the
laminated layering one would expect of wedged (kneaded) clay used to
make less refined earthenware.

A more probable explanation is that the glaze causes the fabric's
micro-fractures to expand parallel to the glazed surfaces, which
splits the sherd in half.  I would guess this is because the glaze
fills voids at the surface, which discourages cracks from spreading
outward and instead makes them move laterally.  The glaze can also
have different expansion and contraction characteristics than the
fabric, which can cause crazing and cracking in the glaze surface when
the vessel swells and contracts through heating and cooling (or
moisture absorption).  This could, I suppose, exacerbate the cracking
between the two layers and cause them to separate more quickly.

Another thing to consider is warping.  Remember that the whole vessel
is under tension, which is why it plinks.  When the object breaks,
some of that tension is released and every fragment warps. Anyone who
has ever tried to glue a porcelain cup back together will tell you
that this can cause measurable changes in shape!  So if you consider
that the ceramic body is vitrifiying (becoming glass-like) when it
fires, and shrinks as it looses water volume and then as it cools, it
makes sense that it remains under tension.

Immediately after firing and throughout its use-life, the fabric
develops micro-fissures in the glassy matrix.  Then when the vessel
breaks, the sherd warps suddenly.  I would guess that the micro-
fissures spread quickly at that moment.  The swell/contract cycles
probably move those cracks along until the sherd splits down the
middle like a log on the chopping block.

Pot-lidding is maybe a slightly different issue.  One obvious
difference is that the fractures grow through the glaze layer, while
your sherd did not have this happen.  On unimproved earthenwares
(pottery) and some improved cc-ware and white-improved earthenwares
(WIE), I have seen "non-plastic inclusions" (i.e. little grains of
rock or mineral, not clay) that cause pot-lidding.  This is also
common on brick.  If you look closely at little pot-lids on brick, you
will see that many contain a small dot of white or black at the rough
center of the pot-lid scar where the spall has fallen away.  This is
caused by the fact that the grain of material, little chips of calcite
for example, absorb water and swell more than the ceramic body.  This
puts pressure on the surrounding glassy matrix, like coating a ballon
with epoxy, but then blowing it up after the epoxy has dried and set.
The pressure causes the glassy matrix to split, in a conchoidal
manner, out from the center (where the grain is).  The heat of a fire
could cause this, both with a grain of non-plastic material that has
absorbed water or if water has filled a large pore or void in the
ceramic fabric at the time of the fire.  As the liquid water changes
phase into a gas, (i.e. becomes vapor,steam), the pressure that
results will cause the same fracture pattern.

So someone could really look into this to satisfy their curiosity.  I
bet there is stuff like this written between 1880 and 1930 in ceramic
engineering journals like The Journal of the American Ceramic Society
and The Journal of Industrial and Engineering Chemistry.  As I said
before, I don't think that this research will really improve your
understanding of the site's occupants or their lives.  It would be an
interesting study from the standpoint of understanding the behavior of
cc-ware manufacture and decay, which are very, very understudied
archaeological topics!  Could be a great experimental archaeology
project!

I must get back to real work.

Cheers,
Tim