HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Susan Walter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Nov 2010 10:55:32 -0800
Nov. 10, 2010

Hello all,

I have a site with several sherds of transferware that are split so that there is a transferware / glazed surface on one side and the paste interior on the other side.

This makes them about 1/8 inch thick.  They tend to be about 1 inch long, and about 3/4 inch wide.

The edges are not shaped; in "plan" view the pieces are miscellaneously trapezoidal.

In appearance they somewhat remind me of porcelain pin trays/childrens toy tea trays that are decorated and glazed on the top and bisque on the bottom, except these transfer pieces are not smoothly finished on the bottom ("bisque") like the porcelain items are.

I do not think these were made intentionally.

I've not seen so many of these at one site before.  Has anyone knowledge of what did this?

Thanks every one,

S. Walter