HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Carol McDavid <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Carol McDavid <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Oct 2010 08:20:19 -0500
Hi Gaye,

This give me an excuse to offer up a commercial for the tours that our
program committee will be hosting! On the Wednesday before SHA, Maureen
Brown  has come up with some good ones -- all are described in the
preliminary program, which is at this location in case the published version
in the newsletter isn't handy:

http://www.sha.org/documents/SHA2011%20Preliminary%20Program.pdf

I've heard from a 3-4 Mozilla users that linking to it off of the SHA home
page sometimes doesn't work...though I gather sometimes it does...So there's
the direct link if anyone needs it. These tours are pretty small groups, for
the most part, though if you want to contact Maureen directly for further
details, let me know.

Also, speaking as an urban Texan who has never worn a cowboy hat or boots
(though I have ridden a horse on occasion...)...Houston, if you can manage a
stopover, is a very fun place if you stay in the central area and are
interested in arts (both "outsider" as well as "fine") and restaurants.
Let's talk off-list if you want details... I live in the so-called "museum
district" and can recommend places to eat/stay/see/do. My husband and I
often do a "funky tour of Houston" for visitors...although, as you might
guess, after SHA would be better than before!

Cheers,

Carol
SHA Program Committee

Carol McDavid, Ph.D.
Executive Director, Community Archaeology Research Institute, Inc. (CARI)
Program Chair, SHA 2011
Adjunct Assistant Professor, University of Houston
Adjunct Assistant Professor, Rice University
1638 Branard
Houston, TX 77006
www.publicarchaeology.org