Date:
Thu, 20 Jan 2011 17:04:31 GMT
From: randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
>there is a quote at the end of the story that sums up the reality:

Hi Randy,

I'm generally skeptical about caged bee studies...but if you are going to post the quote you did, I think you have to post the whole paragraph (who is talking is extremely important):

"Bayer insists its neonicotinoids are safe for bees when used properly. Dr Julian Little, a spokesman for Bayer CropScience UK, said it was difficult for it to comment on an unpublished study. "It makes it impossible to look at their methods, it makes it impossible to check whether you can repeat the work, you don't know where they got the imidacloprid from, you don't know how they gave that to the bees," he said. But he added: "I'm sure there are some very interesting effects Dr Pettis has seen in a laboratory, but in reality, when you get to what's important to everybody, which is what happens in the field, you don't see these things happening. Bees are very, very important insects to Bayer CropScience and we recognise their importance."

I'm not accusing anyone of lying, but we have to keep in mind that Dr. Little's job is to make Bayer look good in the press.  A spokesman's job is to spin, not to communicate the best truth possible.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/wildlife/6157395/Pesticides-blamed-for-killing-bees.html

"
However Dr Julian Little of pesticide manufacturer Bayer CropScience, said pesticides are not approved unless it is found they have no effects on insects like bees.

"When it comes to bee health, pesticides are not the problem, disease is," he said.
"