<W473258554232021413547588@atl4webmail06>
Content-Transfer-Encoding:
quoted-printable
Content-Type:
text/plain; charset="utf-8"
Eric Deetz <[log in to unmask]>
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (16 lines)
Two books come to mind. Carmel Schrire's Digging through Darkness is an excellent work on colonialism, archaeology and anthropology and for a specific project where a well formed research design made a major contribution would be Richard Fox's Archaeology, History, and Custer's Last Battle.
J. Eric Deetz 

Coastal Carolina Research
A Wholly Owned Subsidiary of Commonwealth Cultural Resources Group, Inc.
P.O. Box 1198 Tarboro, NC 27886
(252) 641-1444 (252) 641-1235 fax

-----Original Message-----
From: HISTARCH automatic digest system [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Friday, October 17, 2014 03:00 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: HISTARCH Digest - 15 Oct 2014 to 16 Oct 2014 (#2014-190)

There are 9 messages totaling 667 lines in this issue.Topics of the day: 1. "the one [other] book I can't do without" (9)----------------------------------------------------------------------Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2014 10:47:01 -0400From: Anna Agbe-Davies Subject: "the one [other] book I can't do without"Hello HistArchers,I'm building a new course (undergrad historical archaeology) for next year and I thought this might make an interesting topic for conversation, so after consulting the syllabi on the SHA webpage, I'm wondering:What is the one book (besides In Small Things Forgotten--which is pretty much ubiquitous) that you like best for teaching an undergraduate course in historical archaeology? And, even more crucially, why?I'll go first. For me, there's no book like Uncommon Ground for the clarity and unfussiness of the writing, the balance between text and artifact data in the argument, and the clear social message of the entire project.(Then again, I use it every year for another class, so I'm going to resist my impulse to include it on this syllabus, too!)Happy Thursday, all,Anna-- Anna S. Agbe-Davies, Ph.D.Assistant ProfessorDepartment of AnthropologyUNC-Chapel HillCB # 3115 / 301 Alumni BuildingChapel Hill, NC [log in to unmask]: Thu, 16 Oct 2014 11:01:09 -0400From: George Miller Subject: Re: "the one [other] book I can't do without"Anna,Have you considered using the reader on material culture that the SHA haspublished? It has a number of reprinted articles at a reasonable price forstudents.Peace,George L. MillerOn Thu, Oct 16, 2014 at 10:47 AM, Anna Agbe-Davies wrote:> Hello HistArchers,>> I'm building a new course (undergrad historical archaeology) for next year> and I thought this might make an interesting topic for conversation, so> after consulting the syllabi on the SHA webpage, I'm wondering:>> What is the one book (besides In Small Things Forgotten--which is pretty> much ubiquitous) that you like best for teaching an undergraduate course in> historical archaeology? And, even more crucially, why?>> I'll go first. For me, there's no book like Uncommon Ground for the> clarity and unfussiness of the writing, the balance between text and> artifact data in the argument, and the clear social message of the entire> project.>> (Then again, I use it every year for another class, so I'm going to resist> my impulse to include it on this syllabus, too!)>> Happy Thursday, all,>> Anna>> --> Anna S. Agbe-Davies, Ph.D.> Assistant Professor> Department of Anthropology> UNC-Chapel Hill> CB # 3115 / 301 Alumni Building> Chapel Hill, NC 27599-3115>> [log in to unmask]> 919.962.5267>------------------------------Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2014 11:20:45 -0400From: Bill Liebeknecht Subject: Re: "the one [other] book I can't do without"Any such list should include Ivor Noel Hume's A Guide to Artifacts of Colonial America. Yes it is slighted dated and geared towards artifacts as the title states, but my copy has numerous notes in the margins updating his information and dates based on recent findings. Too many student don't know artifacts and go to grad school without having a strong background in artifact identification. I also really like his Martin's Hundred which I found engaging and expands the way student think about how to intrepid a site.Bill Liebeknecht, RPAHunter Research, Inc.-----Original Message-----From: HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Anna Agbe-DaviesSent: Thursday, October 16, 2014 10:47 AMTo: [log in to unmask]: "the one [other] book I can't do without"Hello HistArchers,I'm building a new course (undergrad historical archaeology) for next year and I thought this might make an interesting topic for conversation, so after consulting the syllabi on the SHA webpage, I'mwondering:What is the one book (besides In Small Things Forgotten--which is pretty much ubiquitous) that you like best for teaching an undergraduate course in historical archaeology? And, even more crucially, why?I'll go first. For me, there's no book like Uncommon Ground for the clarity and unfussiness of the writing, the balance between text and artifact data in the argument, and the clear social message of the entire project.(Then again, I use it every year for another class, so I'm going to resist my impulse to include it on this syllabus, too!)Happy Thursday, all,Anna--Anna S. Agbe-Davies, Ph.D.Assistant ProfessorDepartment of AnthropologyUNC-Chapel HillCB # 3115 / 301 Alumni BuildingChapel Hill, NC [log in to unmask]: Thu, 16 Oct 2014 11:26:38 -0400From: "Robert L. Schuyler" Subject: Re: "the one [other] book I can't do without"It depends: Is it an artifact/lab course or is it a general (what historical archaeology has to tell us about the Modern World) course?Bob SchuylerOn 10/16/2014 10:47 AM, Anna Agbe-Davies wrote:> Hello HistArchers,>> I'm building a new course (undergrad historical archaeology) for next> year and I thought this might make an interesting topic for> conversation, so after consulting the syllabi on the SHA webpage, I'm> wondering:>> What is the one book (besides In Small Things Forgotten--which is pretty> much ubiquitous) that you like best for teaching an undergraduate course> in historical archaeology? And, even more crucially, why?>> I'll go first. For me, there's no book like Uncommon Ground for the> clarity and unfussiness of the writing, the balance between text and> artifact data in the argument, and the clear social message of the> entire project.>> (Then again, I use it every year for another class, so I'm going to> resist my impulse to include it on this syllabus, too!)>> Happy Thursday, all,>> Anna>-- Robert L. SchuylerUniversity of Pennsylvania Museum3260 South StreetPhiladelphia, PA l9l04-6324Tel: (215) 898-6965Fax: (215) [log in to unmask]: Thu, 16 Oct 2014 11:34:11 -0400From: ian Burrow Subject: Re: "the one [other] book I can't do without"I like Charles Orser's Historical Archaeology. I think it's a thoughtful approach to the subject and complements Deetz very well because it's a little more theoretical but still very readable with good case studies.Ian Burrow, Ph.D. , Registered Professional ArchaeologistVice President, Hunter Research Inc.Historical Resource Consultants120 West State StreetTrenton, Nj 08608-1185www.hunterresearch.com609-695-0122 xtn 102Fax 609-695-0147Mobile: [log in to unmask](Past-President, Register of Professional Archaeologists; Past-President, American Cultural Resources Association)**Hunter Research: Over 25 Years of excellence in cultural resource management**-----Original Message-----From: HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Anna Agbe-DaviesSent: Thursday, October 16, 2014 10:47 AMTo: [log in to unmask]: "the one [other] book I can't do without"Hello HistArchers,I'm building a new course (undergrad historical archaeology) for next year and I thought this might make an interesting topic for conversation, so after consulting the syllabi on the SHA webpage, I'mwondering:What is the one book (besides In Small Things Forgotten--which is pretty much ubiquitous) that you like best for teaching an undergraduate course in historical archaeology? And, even more crucially, why?I'll go first. For me, there's no book like Uncommon Ground for the clarity and unfussiness of the writing, the balance between text and artifact data in the argument, and the clear social message of the entire project.(Then again, I use it every year for another class, so I'm going to resist my impulse to include it on this syllabus, too!)Happy Thursday, all,Anna--Anna S. Agbe-Davies, Ph.D.Assistant ProfessorDepartment of AnthropologyUNC-Chapel HillCB # 3115 / 301 Alumni BuildingChapel Hill, NC [log in to unmask]: Thu, 16 Oct 2014 09:45:25 -0700From: William White Subject: Re: "the one [other] book I can't do without"Orser's Historical Archaeology came to mind right awayBill White> On Oct 16, 2014, at 8:33 AM, "ian Burrow"  wrote:> > I like Charles Orser's Historical Archaeology. I think it's a thoughtful approach to the subject and complements Deetz very well because it's a little more theoretical but still very readable with good case studies.> > > Ian Burrow, Ph.D. , Registered Professional Archaeologist> Vice President, > Hunter Research Inc.> Historical Resource Consultants> 120 West State Street> Trenton, Nj 08608-1185> www.hunterresearch.com> 609-695-0122 xtn 102> Fax 609-695-0147> Mobile: 609-462-2363> [log in to unmask]> (Past-President, Register of Professional Archaeologists; Past-President, American Cultural Resources Association)> > **Hunter Research: Over 25 Years of excellence in cultural resource management**> > > > > > -----Original Message-----> From: HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Anna Agbe-Davies> Sent: Thursday, October 16, 2014 10:47 AM> To: [log in to unmask]> Subject: "the one [other] book I can't do without"> > Hello HistArchers,> > I'm building a new course (undergrad historical archaeology) for next year and I thought this might make an interesting topic for conversation, so after consulting the syllabi on the SHA webpage, I'm> wondering:> > What is the one book (besides In Small Things Forgotten--which is pretty much ubiquitous) that you like best for teaching an undergraduate course in historical archaeology? And, even more crucially, why?> > I'll go first. For me, there's no book like Uncommon Ground for the clarity and unfussiness of the writing, the balance between text and artifact data in the argument, and the clear social message of the entire project.> > (Then again, I use it every year for another class, so I'm going to resist my impulse to include it on this syllabus, too!)> > Happy Thursday, all,> > Anna> > --> Anna S. Agbe-Davies, Ph.D.> Assistant Professor> Department of Anthropology> UNC-Chapel Hill> CB # 3115 / 301 Alumni Building> Chapel Hill, NC 27599-3115> > [log in to unmask]> 919.962.5267------------------------------Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2014 14:18:29 -0400From: Linda Stine Subject: Re: "the one [other] book I can't do without"I have been using Orser and Deetz and supplementing with a few articles.Also like Barbara Little's intro book. This is for undergraduates.LindaOn Thu, Oct 16, 2014 at 12:45 PM, William White  wrote:> Orser's Historical Archaeology came to mind right away>> Bill White>> > On Oct 16, 2014, at 8:33 AM, "ian Burrow" > wrote:> >> > I like Charles Orser's Historical Archaeology. I think it's a> thoughtful approach to the subject and complements Deetz very well because> it's a little more theoretical but still very readable with good case> studies.> >> >> > Ian Burrow, Ph.D. , Registered Professional Archaeologist> > Vice President,> > Hunter Research Inc.> > Historical Resource Consultants> > 120 West State Street> > Trenton, Nj 08608-1185> > www.hunterresearch.com> > 609-695-0122 xtn 102> > Fax 609-695-0147> > Mobile: 609-462-2363> > [log in to unmask]> > (Past-President, Register of Professional Archaeologists;> Past-President, American Cultural Resources Association)> >> > **Hunter Research: Over 25 Years of excellence in cultural resource> management**> >> >> >> >> >> > -----Original Message-----> > From: HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of> Anna Agbe-Davies> > Sent: Thursday, October 16, 2014 10:47 AM> > To: [log in to unmask]> > Subject: "the one [other] book I can't do without"> >> > Hello HistArchers,> >> > I'm building a new course (undergrad historical archaeology) for next> year and I thought this might make an interesting topic for conversation,> so after consulting the syllabi on the SHA webpage, I'm> > wondering:> >> > What is the one book (besides In Small Things Forgotten--which is pretty> much ubiquitous) that you like best for teaching an undergraduate course in> historical archaeology? And, even more crucially, why?> >> > I'll go first. For me, there's no book like Uncommon Ground for the> clarity and unfussiness of the writing, the balance between text and> artifact data in the argument, and the clear social message of the entire> project.> >> > (Then again, I use it every year for another class, so I'm going to> resist my impulse to include it on this syllabus, too!)> >> > Happy Thursday, all,> >> > Anna> >> > --> > Anna S. Agbe-Davies, Ph.D.> > Assistant Professor> > Department of Anthropology> > UNC-Chapel Hill> > CB # 3115 / 301 Alumni Building> > Chapel Hill, NC 27599-3115> >> > [log in to unmask]> > 919.962.5267>-- Dr. Linda France Stine, RPA336-334-5132436 Graham BuildingDepartment of AnthropologyUniversity of North Carolina Greensboro27412-5001------------------------------Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2014 11:43:54 -0700From: Anita Cohen-Williams Subject: Re: "the one [other] book I can't do without"Two fun books for teaching undergraduates theory and methods are AdrianPraetezellis' Death by Theory (https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780759119574) andDug to Death (https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780759104068). Both are written asmystery novels, but with a lot of excellent information.I also recommend The Archaeologist's Toolkit which is a series of 7 bookswritten by various authors (https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780759124394). [image: logo]*Anita Cohen-Williams* *, MySearchGuru*Organic SEO and Social Media Management | Mobile:http://mysearchguru.com [image: LinkedIn][image:Twitter][image:Google Plus][image:pinterest] Get a signature like this.CLICKHERE.On Thu, Oct 16, 2014 at 11:18 AM, Linda Stine  wrote:> I have been using Orser and Deetz and supplementing with a few articles.> Also like Barbara Little's intro book. This is for undergraduates.>> Linda>> On Thu, Oct 16, 2014 at 12:45 PM, William White  wrote:>> > Orser's Historical Archaeology came to mind right away> >> > Bill White> >> > > On Oct 16, 2014, at 8:33 AM, "ian Burrow" > > wrote:> > >> > > I like Charles Orser's Historical Archaeology. I think it's a> > thoughtful approach to the subject and complements Deetz very well> because> > it's a little more theoretical but still very readable with good case> > studies.> > >> > >> > > Ian Burrow, Ph.D. , Registered Professional Archaeologist> > > Vice President,> > > Hunter Research Inc.> > > Historical Resource Consultants> > > 120 West State Street> > > Trenton, Nj 08608-1185> > > www.hunterresearch.com> > > 609-695-0122 xtn 102> > > Fax 609-695-0147> > > Mobile: 609-462-2363> > > [log in to unmask]> > > (Past-President, Register of Professional Archaeologists;> > Past-President, American Cultural Resources Association)> > >> > > **Hunter Research: Over 25 Years of excellence in cultural resource> > management**> > >> > >> > >> > >> > >> > > -----Original Message-----> > > From: HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of> > Anna Agbe-Davies> > > Sent: Thursday, October 16, 2014 10:47 AM> > > To: [log in to unmask]> > > Subject: "the one [other] book I can't do without"> > >> > > Hello HistArchers,> > >> > > I'm building a new course (undergrad historical archaeology) for next> > year and I thought this might make an interesting topic for conversation,> > so after consulting the syllabi on the SHA webpage, I'm> > > wondering:> > >> > > What is the one book (besides In Small Things Forgotten--which is> pretty> > much ubiquitous) that you like best for teaching an undergraduate course> in> > historical archaeology? And, even more crucially, why?> > >> > > I'll go first. For me, there's no book like Uncommon Ground for the> > clarity and unfussiness of the writing, the balance between text and> > artifact data in the argument, and the clear social message of the entire> > project.> > >> > > (Then again, I use it every year for another class, so I'm going to> > resist my impulse to include it on this syllabus, too!)> > >> > > Happy Thursday, all,> > >> > > Anna> > >> > > --> > > Anna S. Agbe-Davies, Ph.D.> > > Assistant Professor> > > Department of Anthropology> > > UNC-Chapel Hill> > > CB # 3115 / 301 Alumni Building> > > Chapel Hill, NC 27599-3115> > >> > > [log in to unmask]> > > 919.962.5267> >>>>> --> Dr. Linda France Stine, RPA> 336-334-5132> 436 Graham Building> Department of Anthropology> University of North Carolina Greensboro> 27412-5001>-- Anita Cohen-WilliamsOrganic SEO and Social Media ManagementMySearchGuru.com------------------------------Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2014 16:22:41 -0400From: Elizabeth Newman <[log in to unmask]>Subject: Re: "the one [other] book I can't do without"Great question, Anna! Thanks for asking it!I don’t know if you were thinking monographs or textbooks, but I’m going to assume the former since that is what you gave examples of. The two you mention would have been my first and second answers, as well, as those are the two books that, together, made me decide to become a historical archaeologist.Other than those, I would have to say my third favorite is Johnson’s “An Archaeology of Capitalism.” Though I don’t exactly teach historical archaeology these days, I do teach a graduate seminar in material culture, which is basically "intro to historical archaeology for historians.” I use Johnson’s book in it because, one, I love the book, and two, I think it does a great job of illustrating how documents, maps, landscapes, architecture, etc. are all artifacts too. It is great for the historians because it bridges the gap between materials they are familiar with and methods/perspectives they aren’t, but I think it is equally important for archaeology students to remember that in historical archaeology documents are part of the data set (and not just as something to be read and quoted, but something to be analyzed and examined).Best,ElizabethElizabeth Terese Newman, PhdAssistant Professor of History, Stony Brook Universitywww.elizabethnewman.orgCheck out my new book, Biography of a Hacienda (University of Arizona Press 2014).> On Oct 16, 2014, at 10:47 AM, Anna Agbe-Davies  wrote:> > Hello HistArchers,> > I'm building a new course (undergrad historical archaeology) for next year and I thought this might make an interesting topic for conversation, so after consulting the syllabi on the SHA webpage, I'm wondering:> > What is the one book (besides In Small Things Forgotten--which is pretty much ubiquitous) that you like best for teaching an undergraduate course in historical archaeology? And, even more crucially, why?> > I'll go first. For me, there's no book like Uncommon Ground for the clarity and unfussiness of the writing, the balance between text and artifact data in the argument, and the clear social message of the entire project.> > (Then again, I use it every year for another class, so I'm going to resist my impulse to include it on this syllabus, too!)> > Happy Thursday, all,> > Anna> > -- > Anna S. Agbe-Davies, Ph.D.> Assistant Professor> Department of Anthropology> UNC-Chapel Hill> CB # 3115 / 301 Alumni Building> Chapel Hill, NC 27599-3115> > [log in to unmask]> 919.962.5267------------------------------End of HISTARCH Digest - 15 Oct 2014 to 16 Oct 2014 (#2014-190)***************************************************************

ATOM RSS1 RSS2