HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Wed, 21 Nov 2012 16:59:52 +0000
From:
Leo Demski <[log in to unmask]>
Hi Cody-

I don't know if you already have this info, but Google Books has a copy of Glasshouses and Glass Manufacturers of the Pittsburgh Region: 1795 - 1910 by
Jay W. Hawkins available online at http://books.google.com/books?id=uRa4LxMg8r8C&pg=PA451&lpg=PA451&dq=Saltsburg+Bottle+Works&source=bl&ots=sFjTLzEf3P&sig=AxyOv6PJBXveVq5UG4syJVI84xQ&hl=en#v=onepage&q=Saltsburg%20Bottle%20Works&f=false

On page 451 and 452 it gives a history of the Saltsburg Glass Company, Saltsburg Bottle Works, and the Saltsburg Flint Bottle Company, but unfortunately the data is cut off since the information continues past Google's displayed preview into p453 and possibly beyond.  It does give information about the Bottle Works being ca 1890-1903, and:

"In 1890, the name of the company operating the glassworks was called the Saltsburg Bottle Works Co, Limited, and was listed as employing about 60 hands. The glassworks consisted of a single-furnace factory that fired a maximum of ten pots.  They also maintained Pittsburgh offices from at least 1890 through 1902."  p451

It also talks about some of the capabilities of the previous and later incarnations of the Bottle Works, and gives some interesting pictures of Bottle works correspondance.

Also, Ebay has a SBW billhead on their site: http://www.ebay.com/itm/1897-Saltsburg-Pa-Bottle-Works-Billhead-/120740561368#ht_349wt_934
as does Worthpoint:  http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/saltsburg-pa-saltsburg-bottle-works-111387105

Finally, Google books also has segments of History of Drug Containers and Their Labels  By George B. Griffenhagen, G. Griffenhagen & Mary Bogard available online and it mentions the Saltsburg Bottle Works in its introduction on page 2 as being covered in more detail in chapter 6.   Of course, as seems to often be the case, chapter 6 is not in the preview that Google gives you, but it might also be a document to check out.  http://books.google.com/books?id=N4N9bsxc2LYC&pg=PA2&lpg=PA2&dq=Saltsburg+Bottle+Works&source=bl&ots=9gVJjTdqWm&sig=Nbxkjk8tpt0c13tV2guyjt-D2do&hl=en#v=onepage&q=Saltsburg%20Bottle%20Works&f=false

Griffenhagen et al. says, "The vast majority of drug containers used in America were made of glass, so chapter six reviews the manufacturers of American glass drug bottles....Those firms, which produced the largest quantity of glass drug bottles in the the United States include...Saltsburg...Some of these firms were established or operated by pharmacists, such as...and Clifton H.Beach, president of the Saltsburg Bottle Works in the 1890's."  p2

Hope that helps!

Happy Thanksgiving!
-Leo Demski
Archaeological Assistant