HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Fri, 29 Jun 2012 10:09:21 -0700
From:
George Myers <[log in to unmask]>
8bit
Sender:
Once touted as the "newest city in the world" Skagway, Alaska, as part of the Klondike Historic Park has two parts: one in Alaska and one in Seattle administered by the US NPS in Pioneer Square where the Great Alaska Gold Rush began. The Captain Moore Cabin in Skagway, Alaska is maintained as memorial to one of its original settlers. I worked on its site archeology for Katherine Blee with Russ Becker in 1980. Home of the "north wind" the inside of the cabin was papered with a lot of Australian (and other) science journal pages I recall.

I've worked on the archeology of Sackets Harbor, a cited New York State Urban Cultural Park, on Lake Ontario, but in the area of Madison Barracks and the site quite large, at the time of the War of 1812, thought the largest Federal military site in the US (estimates of as much as 40,000) has the urban cultural public park and a private section built on, negotiated to help the economics of the area and the site in specific. Many, many notable Army officers served there, i.e., former President Ulysses S. Grant's first assignment after West Point Military Academy graduation, NYC Mayor LaGuardia whose father was in the US Army band, lived there as a child, General Mark Clark, etc., though it's sometimes called the "birthplace of the US Navy" and rightfully so. British so-called war brides were processed there after WWII. A fence there surrounds a historic cemetery, once a part of Buckingham Palace grounds, offered in peace.

Off-hand that's the memorials form some of the "grey literature" of historic archaeology. Off course one might research the archeology of National Parks in urban centers, i.e., Fort McHenry, MD and others for the archeology done primarily by the Denver Service Center in Colorado.

George Myers