HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Thu, 12 Jan 2012 11:57:28 -0500
From:
Keith Adams <[log in to unmask]>
Hello Mike,

What is the context?

It has been a long time since I dealt with material not from US
historical contexts, but it looks more Mediterranean prehistoric to
me.

Have you tried showing this to someone well versed in middle or late
bronze age coarse-wares perhaps from the eastern Mediterranean. The
form looks like what might be termed a lekythos, a one-handled, small
necked oil container. One photo shows what could be a double axe
inscribed on the neck...perhaps Cypriot or Levantine? Similar items
have been brought back from "Holy Land tours" and might be memorabilia
from such a trip???.

Keith Adams

--
Keith W. Adams
Instructor, Department of Anthropology and Archaeology