HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Thu, 24 Mar 2011 12:28:21 -0400
From:
David W Babson <[log in to unmask]>
I've seen extensive beds of "feral" daylilies marking domestic sites at Fort Drum (after 60 years abandonment), and elsewhere in New York State.  Before seeing these, I had thought that daylilies were more southern, or midwestern, but they appear to have been fairly ubiquitous on rural doemstic sites during the late 19th century to the first half of the 20th century.

I also remember, years ago in Massachusetts, being told that poison ivy was a marker for historic sites--it was propagated by the ground disturbance produced by occupation of the site.  It certainly was ubiquitous on some historic sites, and it did NOT improve excavation condidtions, for obvious reasons.  I haven't heard of PI being used in survey--probably something too terrible to contemplate.

D. Babson.