HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Thu, 22 Jul 2010 18:37:22 -0400
From:
Conrad Bladey <[log in to unmask]>
7bit
The variety of objects here would be not too far from those found on a
set of shelves in a pantry and would have had to be disposed of with
colapse of shelf unit except horse shoe....

The possible reasons for the assemblage being together can be infinite.

One would also not want to rule out damage through transport as things
often arrived broken. (check to see if ceramic damage was due to edge
impact wear and tear or crushing (more pieces smaller pieces and impact
in centers) If accidental damage then you would see larger pieces as
well. Also new or used- scratch marks wear would indicate accident
rather than shipping is more likely.

I would find the reason for cache deposit more interesting than reason
for the assemblage itself
Digging a pit is a lot of work. Was this the primairy disposal means in
the region?
Was this urban or rural.

if rural then certainly other dumping disposal methods would have been
used- it would have been taken to property boundary and dumpped or
drumped into any swale or
unplowable area.

How far from a residence?

One suggestion for the pit would be that somehow the assemblage had been
tainted or smelled, or was involved with a messy spill something that
one would not want around  on the surface or would not want people or
animals getting into. Perhaps the cans are key here....

If the deposit was in public setting then perhaps it was done to hide it
however even at cemetaries open dumping on the perimeter was the norm

If this was near the foundation check in to drainage. It could have been
house cleaning over time dumpped into a hole to serve as a dry well to
for settled water to drain into also very common.

Lots of possibilities have fun networking it out. Most interesting- did
they dispose of all their trash in this careful way. What tidy folk indeed.

Conrad