From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Nov 2011 18:23:11 -0600
>Bob Harrison
Wed, 7 Dec 2005 15:31:29 -060
If your problem is being caused by nosema ceranae (Fries 1996) which seems a
far reach considering your location (discovered in China) then fumidil
should still work to control the problem.

this post was before CCD and according to the USDA-ARS  nosema C. was not in
the U.S. but I suspected was but all the spores looked like Apis to me.
Still hard to tell apart unless you know the difference (which back then I
did not).

Bob Harrison
Fri, 4 May 2007 18:30:36 -0500
I also do not know if the nosema I found was * nosema ceranae* or not. I
suspect so due to the difficulty in controlling. Regardless fumidil cleared
the problem up which is the good news I have to report.

This was in the spring of 07 when CCD was rampant with hives crashing around
the U.S.. I still was not sure if nosema C. or A. in samples. Fumidil did
clear up the problem but notice I said fumidil instead of fumigillin which I
used later with poor results.
I quickly bought up all the old fumidil I could find.

I have been on the front lines of beekeeping issues for many years. I am
slowly retiring. Once out of the "game" your first hand knowledge starts
dropping. I was in Florida, Texas and many states in the Midwest this  year
speaking directly with commercial beekeepers. These beekeepers control tens
of thousands of hives and many employees. Hopefully the list appreciates my
input but once out of their circle my first hand knowledge will diminish.

Commercial beekeeping is similar to a football game. Those playing the game
have the most to lose .
The fans and Monday morning quarterbacks have all got their coulda and
wouldas but have little to lose with a poor decision made during the game.

Commercial beekeepers with tens of thousands of hive choose carefully the
person or persons providing advice.

Those beekeepers world is at a very fast pace and even small problems need
solved quickly before those issues develop into big issues.

bob