From:
Juanse Barros <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Oct 2011 17:13:19 -0300
A bit off topic for most of you, but two articles call my atention today.
How long will it take for the USA to follow European path ruling GMO testing
in honey? is the question that inmediatelly poped in me mind!

http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/231816/20111015/center-for-food-safety-petitions-fda-labels-genetically-modified-foods.htm
The Center For Food Safety (CFS) has filed a legal petition with the U.S.
Food and Drug Administration demanding that the agency require the labeling
of all food produced using genetic engineering, a move done on behalf of a
coalition of more than 350 companies, organizations, scientists and
individuals dedicated to food safety and consumer rights.

http://english.cntv.cn/20111017/110515.shtml

WASHINGTON, Oct. 16 (Xinhua) -- Hundreds of people from around the United
States rallied in front of the White House on Sunday, urging the government
to require compulsory labeling of food made from genetically modified
organisms (GMOs).

"Most Americans agree they have a right to know what is in the food they put
in their own and their children's bodies, but current federal policy favors
the pesticide industry and hides the facts," ....

And a third one, but this time from China was the most interesting one

http://www.atimes.com/atimes/China/MJ08Ad04.html

As the New York Times quoted one farmer struggling with Roundup-resistant
pigweed:

Mr Anderson and farmers throughout the East, Midwest and South are being
forced to spray fields with more toxic herbicides, pull weeds by hand and
return to more labor-intensive methods like regular plowing.

"We're back to where we were 20 years ago," said Mr Anderson, who will
plough about one-third of his 3,000 acres [1,214 hectares] of soybean fields
this spring, more than he has in years. "We're trying to find out what
works." [5]

Over the past 20 years since biotech corn came on the market, the price of
GM seed has increased 139%, while conventional hybrid corn increased 49%.
The increase in conventional hybrid seed prices is roughly parallel with
improvements in yield - which appear to be largely attributable to
traditional enhancements in plant genetics, not gene modification techniques
- an indication that the price/value relationship is steady.

An increase of 139% in the price of GM seeds is perhaps an indicator that
cost-benefit equation may be out of whack. That also increases the anxiety
of poorer countries that their farmers will be forced to purchase ever-more
expensive seed after they get hooked on GM products (and the farm practices
that sustain it).

--

NOTA:Si va a re-enviar este correo por favor borre la historia de
direcciones, que incluye mi direccíon electrónica. Al borrar las direcciones

Juanse Barros J.
APIZUR S.A.
Carrera 695
Gorbea - CHILE