From:
Dennis LaMonica <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 5 Feb 2012 20:40:32 -0500
It was not my intention to turn the possibility of a GMO pesticide ready
(resistant) bee with a patented gene into a discussion about Monsanto
although they may become a major player.

As beekeepers we have very little control on the selection of genetic
traits in open mated queens.  The average beekeeper can not really assess
even if the drones they supply have the genetic traits that are desired.
We assume that the drones from a hive have the genes we wish to perpetuate
but since a queen is mated with multiple drones,  we really have no way of
knowing the genetics of any single drone.  Saturating an area with drones
does not guarantee genetic success.  We are only manipulating probabilities
intending to maximize the chance that a queen will mate with drones which
have the genetic traits that we are attempting to perpetuate.  We may
manipulate probabilities in open mated queens but it still comes down to a
psudo-natural selection.  Mother Nature does not charge for the exchange of
genetic information.  Corporations do.  Mother Nature does not license,
charge monetary fees or litigate.

If a patented GMO bee ever does come into existence, the analogies with
respect to crops will become somewhat moot or at least very blurred.  GMO
bees will still cast swarms as all bees cast swarms and the patented gene
will become a part of the feral population and the feral genetic pool and
will be perpetuated whether there are apiaries around or not.  The patented
gene will travel distances over time and eventually an apiary can gain the
patented gene from queens mating with feral drones and not drones from GMO
apiaries.  Just to complicate contemplated thoughts further....