HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Elizabeth Newman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 4 Jun 2011 10:37:39 -0700
Hi John (and everybody else),

I'm eager to hear the answers to this query as I have nearly identical artifacts
from a 19th century hacienda in Puebla in Central Mexico (the dates for my
contexts would match your sawmill incidentally).  I have no washers, and the
shafts of the rivets are mostly longer (though they come in different lengths)
and unflattened.  Perhaps we have the same thing but mine haven't been used for
whatever they are used for yet.

Other than the exceptions listed above, they are identical to size, material,
even the raised star on the head.  If you (or anyone else) would like photos of
mine, let me know.  I'll locate them and send them along off list.

If anybody has replied off list, will you share their responses?  I would LOVE
to know what these things are and have been meaning to send out this very query
for quite some time now.

Thanks!

Elizabeth

Elizabeth Terese Newman, PhD
Assistant Professor, History
Director, Environmental Humanities Program

Department of History
Stony Brook University
SBS 3-301
Stony Brook, NY 11794-4348

Office: Social and Behavioral Sciences S-349
Phone: (631) 632-7530
email: [log in to unmask]