HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
John Worth <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Sep 2010 06:01:08 -0500
We used GPR this summer on an unplowed Spanish mission site c. 1741-1761
here in Florida (with a short-lived Spanish cavalry outpost as well), where
we had already excavated sections of several wall trench structures,
including a very substantial post-on-sill wall trench with many in-place
forged nails.  Despite the fact that excavations have subsequently confirmed
that this undisturbed trench runs more than 12 meters across the prior GPR
survey area, cutting through the alluvial clay terrace soils below, there
was no apparent GPR signature of that structure (nor, for that matter, any
corresponding signature in the soil resistivity survey).  We did, however,
find a substantial "cloud" of metal-detector hits in general association
with this structure (which we suspect was the cavalry barracks built in
1760), and with the site in general as compared to surrounding areas.  There
were too many hits to define wall outlines from the ground surface, but on a
much smaller scale we were indeed able to trace the trench from one meter to
the next using nails spaced at 8-9 inch intervals within the trench, moving
from the known to the unknown.

I know of at least two other examples of metal detector surveys working
quite well to define the locations of mission structures here in Florida (in
those cases dating to the early 17th century), both in woods and pastures,
and our results would seem to confirm that strategy as the most likely to
generate good results.

John Worth

--
John E. Worth, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor, Department of Anthropology