HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Tue, 25 Sep 2012 08:08:14 -0400
Interesting-

1. Maintenance of the dominance of Political and social elite influence upon
the processes of historic preservation is unethical. From political
appointed SHPOs to catering to the whims of "societies" historical and other
just because
they have money. If archeology is to be a science it should operate as a
science and not as a slave to politics and status. I find professional
archeologists are unwilling to make waves and feel this is a tragedy.

2. It is unethical imho to treat archeology as a point by point, site by
site pursuit. It needs to be invoked as a lifeway for all citizens just as
the ecological movement has developed. Archeologists need not be government
contractors
so much as doctors on call making house calls. Everyone should practice an
archeologically informed lifestyle just as they practice awareness of
pollution and other ecological issues. History needs to be part of the
real estate transfer record for each property conveying it from deed to
deed. We can not afford to concentrate where the most money is but in the
work that will allow more work to be done for the limited money. Harnessing
the entire population in an archeologically informed lifeway will help us to
do much more work than we can do with the limited funding that we have now.
Some archeologists are indeed helping to bridge the gap but often on a site
by site basis not so much on developing a network for lifeway's.

Ok brain storm IMHO what do you think.....?

Conrad Bladey
Professional Archeologist
Peasant