HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Laura Scharding <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 May 2012 11:08:36 +0100
Hello All,

Laura Scharding here, I feel like a little peanut compared to the likes of
you all. I've been signed up to hist arch since I started research for my
Ph.D in 2009 and generally sit quietly in my corner listening. I quite like
this idea of everyone introducing themselves and seeing what people are
working on.

I did my B.A at University of Pittsburgh in Anthropology and History. M.A.
at University College of Dublin in Historical Archaeology, my thesis was on
gender and sexuality in 19th century Ireland based on a case study of the
'Wrens of the Curragh.' They were a group of women who followed the British
soldiers stationed on at the Curragh camp from 1845 until the camp was
turned over to the Irish in 1922.

At the moment I am again in Ireland, studying at UCD, and in my last year
of the Ph.D. program. My dissertation is on gendered historical archaeology
and those at the margins of society.  I'm looking at prostitution and
clandestine prostitution in Philadelphia during the 19th century and its
relationship with spatiality, ethnicity and class, and moral reform.

In between university, I've done a stint of work in commercial archaeology
and worked on several research digs.

Open invite to all who visit Dublin, I can tell you the sites and sights to
see and take you to a lovely pint of guinness!

--
Laura E. Scharding
PhD Researcher, University College Dublin