HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Date:
Sun, 22 Aug 2010 21:05:09 -0700
Here are more details from H-West. I am saddened by the news, as David
was a personal friend and great scholar in the field.

From: "Johnson, Benjamin" <[log in to unmask]>
> Date: August 22, 2010 2:06:38 PM CDT
>  Subject: In Memoriam:  David J. Weber
>
> August 22, 2010
>
> Dear Colleagues:

He died in the company of his family on Friday, August 20, in
Gallup, New Mexico.  He was 69 and had been battling multiple
myeloma for nearly three years, with the courage and fortitude that
was so characteristic of how he lived.

I don’t need to tell the members of this list that David was one of
the leading scholars of the U.S. West, the Spanish and Mexican
Borderlands, Mexico, and colonial Latin America.  He was known
widely, far beyond this country, for his scholarship, published in
more than seventy articles and twenty-seven books that he wrote
or edited.  He played leading roles in revitalizing the study of
the U.S.-Mexico borderlands, in the emergence of Mexican-American
history as a robust field, and in the study of the colonial
Americas more broadly.  David was the founding director of the
Clements Center for Southwest Studies at SMU and mentored numerous
students in SMU’s history PhD and MA programs.  The importance of
his work was recognized in multiple book prizes; by the governments
of Spain and Mexico, each of which gave him the highest honor that
they bestow on foreigners; by his induction into the American
Academy of Arts and Sciences; and by the high regard in which he
was held by so many in the profession.

Those of us who knew David well mourn the loss of the person, not
just the scholar.  We will remember not only the books and the
articles, but his smiles, the warmth in his eyes, his easy sense of
humor, and his largeness of spirit.  He was as generous and warm a
soul as I’ve ever known.

Plans for a service in Dallas are pending. As per the family’s
request, memorial contributions can be sent to the Clements Center
for Southwest Studies, SMU Office of Development, P.O. Box 281,
Dallas, TX 75275, or the Multiple Myeloma Research Foundation.

A tribute panel to David and his work will be held at this Fall's
WHA on Thursday, October 14, with Juliana Barr, Alan Taylor, Albert
Hurtado, and Albert Camarillo as panelists.

with great sorrow,

 Ben

 Benjamin Johnson
 Interim Director, Clements Center for Southwest Studies
 Associate Professor of History
 Department of History
 P.O. Box 750176
 Dallas, TX 75275