HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"Dan S. Allen" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Jul 2009 13:40:51 +0000
I used Gore as an example.  He is intellectual enough to understand that in general, society is anti-intellectual and easily steered.  He's a politician...not an expert on global warming.  And, the function of religion (if I remember correctly) is to establish social mores or control, explain the unexplainable, and redistribute wealth.  Within this context, global warming as religion fits nicely in an anti-intellectual society.  Global warming could just as easily have been championed by Madonna or Bono, or Hannah Montana for that matter.  At this point, if anyone could scientifically prove global warming as natural they would probably be ostracized.  He has an advantage because he will probably be dead and gone before the next Ice Age:)

Collective fear stimulates herd instinct and tends to produce ferocity toward those who are not regarded as members of the herd [Passages from an Outline of Intellectual Rubbish, Bertrand Russell (1943)].