HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Wed, 15 May 2013 10:07:55 -0400
7bit
Thanks Geoff- I'm with you

Conferences are expensive antiquated things especially when they are not
affordable  for  ordinary people

The problem is worse when attendance is funded by institutions and companies
or is a tax dodge

It is easy to see that each  person so funded to attend a conference
diminishes the amount of archeology that
can be afforded.

This is even more terrible when everyone has access to FREE  electronic and
telephone and video conferencing.

I have actually known  professional archeologists walking away from field
work leaving volunteers working to go a 'conferencing.

What is the definition of obscene if it is not seen in this diversion of
limited resources.

Just my opinion-kick it around what do you think? Please note I am making
generalizations and  it does not apply  to everyone-note also though
That just because something feels good it does not necessarily follow that
it is  good practice.

And I return to my point- taken together all expenses from applying to
travel to food to conference top to bottom beginning to end combined with
the absence from day job and local work piling up and related
inefficiencies- how many hours would that amount of money pay for a worker
in the
field-that we keep hearing people complain that they have no money for?

Conrad