From:
Don Semple <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Jan 2012 10:20:31 -0500
I've been following these RNAi discussions for several months.

I see the great potential for short term good, and the treadmill marketability of RNA interference from a businessman's standpoint is intriguing, BUT the long-term effects for continuing the propping up of weak bee genetics isn't doing our bees any favors.

And, I also fear the knowledge gained from this technology:

- If you can feed small RNAs or dsRNA to the bees to use the bees as a vehicle to deliver it to the mites that feed of the bees, how do you keep it out of the food chain for us and the other critters?

- If you can down-regulate gene expression to control pathogens and pests, can't the same technology be used to harm beneficial hosts and microorganisms?

- With the great ability of viruses to mutate, seems to me with RNAi technology we are just going to be breeding super viruses and pests that will only be able to be further controlled with more use of this same technology.

Can of worms regards

Don Semple
Overland Park, Kansas