Date:
Wed, 1 Jun 2011 16:15:27 GMT
>>I've not had this problem before (been keeping them since 2004), and the hives do
seem a bit more protective this year....

They may be bothered by raccoons, skunks, and opossums at night and take it out on daytime creatures.  Insecticide sprays by neighbors can also irritate them.  The condition is often aggravated by nectar scarcity in the field.

Gasoline, pesticides, bananas, alcohol can all make bees very defensive.  As can rough hive inspections.

>>I'm thinking of putting some Bee Quick on myself, figuring that if it
clears supers (though I've never used it), it will keep them away from me.

Personally, I would not use any such stuff on myself.  I sometimes will eat a few almonds and chew on fresh mint leaves before inspecting hives without smoke.  You can also rub fresh mint leaves on your skin where you get stung.  It does help prevent getting stung again.

Waldemar

PS. BTW, eating several almonds after a meal lowers blood pressure [in addition, to providing great nutrition]!