Date:
Tue, 1 Mar 2011 09:47:02 -0500
>...at at the low concentrations in pollen, and the relatively low actual contact
> to body surfaces...

Our observations in field test tend to sample averages, since it is difficult to
sample in great detail.

As a result, we tend to observe only averages and, unless very scrupulous
in our thinking, assume those (macro) averages reflect the experience of
critters operating on a micro scale.

The average temperature here in my part of Alberta is probably around plus
 five Celsius.  That is hardly what one would consider a good temperature
for growing wheat or water sports -- or skiing, for that matter.

Nonetheless, Alberta is known for all the above. Today, however, the
temperature is near minus twenty-seven, roads are closed and we are
expecting wind chills of minus forty (C or F -- take your choice).

My point is that averages don't tell us everthing we need to know, whether
 the average is over time or acreage or and range that contains many
types of data.

Unfortunately, many speak with certainty when they have only guesses
about the specific instances included in the averages they observe.

The devil *is* in the details, I'm guessing.