ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"Fournier, Kathy" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Mar 2011 08:10:37 -0500

Hey All;
A few weeks back I posted that we had done some large scale elephant toothpaste demos for an outside event. Many of you were interested in how we did that......

Here's What You Need:

*	5L Erlenmeyer Flask...HUGE and very cool looking!
*	500 mL Bacquacil Oxidizer (27% Hydrogen Peroxide) or 30% Hydrogen Peroxide
*	1 tablespoon Dawn dishsoap
*	2 Tablespoons Sodium Iodide

Here's What You Do:

In the 5 liter flask, combine the 500 mL H2O2 with 1 tablespoon dish soap. Swirl gently to mix. Add 2 tablespoons of Sodium Iodide (all at once) and step back as the reaction occurs quickly, typically sending a column of foam 6 feet into the air.

Precautions...the bacquacil (or 30% H2O2) is a strong oxidizer...use proper safety equipment (goggles and gloves) and consult the proper MSDS. Sodium Iodide is slightly toxic and a potential tissue irritant...again, consult the proper MSDS. You may want to do this outdoors in an area that can be hosed down...the iodine that is released from the sodium iodide during the reaction can stain some surfaces and fabrics. It stained our whitish tarp a blackish color.

We did this on a stage on our plaza so we were pretty well away from our audience. It was awesome though!

Happy brushing!

Kathy

Kathy Fournier
Associate Vice President of Education