HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Timothy Scarlett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Aug 2017 13:24:41 -0400
I think people should remember that the federal government engages researchers with all kinds of activities involving all kinds of intellectual property law issues.  As with research sponsored by NSF, NEH, DOD, EPA, NIH, and so on, researchers can be granted IP control of all types of data for varying periods of time, including permanent copyright in some cases.

The specific law cited by Ree Rodgers below simply says that the records are the property of the Federal Government. That does not mean that they are therefore available to anyone who asks for them at any time.

Since none of us know the details of how the agreement was negotiated, and _most_ of us are not lawyers, I suggest we refrain from giving legal advice about contract law in the federal system. I suspect that the federal lawyers who approved the first agreement have a better idea about how that works.

Cheers,
Tim