HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
scarlett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Jun 2011 12:49:45 -0400
Hi Patricia,
You could contact Sarah Cowie.  In her study at the iron smelting town
of Fayette, Michigan, the archaeologists recovered a fragment of an
alphabet plate.  If I recall correctly, that plate was made of iron,
however, instead of ceramic.  Dr. Cowie discussed the materiality of
literacy in a 19th century company town.

She discusses it in her book, The Plurality of Power: An Archaeology
of Industrial Capitalism
http://www.worldcat.org/search?qt=worldcat_org_all&q=The+Plurality+of+Power%3A+An+Archaeology+of+Industrial+Capitalism

Dr. Cowie is in the Anthropology Department at the University of
Nevada, Reno. I'm not sure if she has settled in there yet.
http://www.cis.unr.edu/CampusDirectory/EmployeeList.aspx?STAFF=ANTH

Cheers
Tim