HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
P Samford <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Jun 2011 09:55:42 -0400
I am currently doing some research into alphabet or ABC plates - white-bodied earthenwares produced during the 19th and early 20th centuries and containing alphabets, usually molded or printed around the rim.  We have found examples so far from six Maryland collections and I am interested in learning about other examples found in the U.S.  I am particularly interested in the context of the items-dating, type of site, occupants, type of feature or layer in which the artifact was recovered.

Thank you in advance for sharing your findings.

Patricia Samford
Director, Maryland Archaeological Conservation Laboratory
Jefferson Patterson Park and Museum
10515 Mackall Road
St. Leonard, MD 20685