HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Rob Mann <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 21 May 2011 14:23:39 -0500
The Department of Geography and Anthropology at Louisiana State University
will hold a summer archaeological field school in historical archaeology at
site of Galveztown, a Spanish colonial village inhabited primarily by Canary
Islanders (Isleños).  The Isleños were brought to Louisiana by the Spanish
to serve as colonists in settlements ringing New Orleans.  Galveztown was
occupied ca. 1779-1825.  For more information on the site and our previous
archaeological investigations check out this article in Louisiana Cultural
Vistas http://www.nxtbook.com/nxtbooks/leh/lcv-spring09/#/56/OnePage.

The field school will run July 5 through August 5, 2011.  Students who
register for the full five weeks will receive six credit hours of either
ANTH 2016 Field Methods in Archaeology or ANTH 4021 Advanced Field Methods
in Archaeology.  For more information please contact me.  There are only a
few spots left for this summer, so don’t delay!

Best,
Rob Mann

Rob Mann, Ph.D.

Southeast Regional Archaeologist and

Assistant Professor—Research

Department of Geography and Anthropology

Louisiana State University

227 Howe-Russell Geoscience Complex

Baton Rouge, Louisiana 70803

Office: 225-578-6739