HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
scarlett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Aug 2010 14:18:46 -0400
This is an interesting problem for an ethics bowl.

After a long court battle, RMS Titanic, Inc., had been awarded salvage
rights, but not ownership of the wreck or artifacts.  This meant that
the company could control the wreck site, and would own all media
produced from the wreck or exhibitions based upon the objects
recovered from the site, but they could not sell objects
individually.  It was my understanding that this ruling created a
covenant on the wreck's salvage that assured that no future owner
would be able to sell the objects.

That arrangement turned RMS Titanic, Inc, into an "Edutainment
company" like National Geographic or the Discovery Channel.  It also
opened up an ethical "loophole" for collaboration between professional
archaeologists and the company that held salvage rights to the wreck.
Make money from education and exhibition, but disallow sale of objects.

I was pretty surprised to hear that the upcoming expedition by RMS
Titanic, Inc./Premier Exhibitions LLC had been joined by The Institute
of Nautical Archeology, Woods Hole, The National Oceanic and
Atmospheric Administration's Natural Marine Sanctuaries Program, and
The National Park Service's Submerged Resources Center.  These
partnerships were announced at the end of July:
http://www.marketwatch.com/story/premier-exhibitions-schedules-investor-teleconference-to-discuss-2010-expedition-to-titanic-wreck-site-2010-07-27?reflink=MW_news_stmp

The ruling described in the article that Geoff posted means that the
company, or the court, may start selling artifacts.  This creates a
very clear and serious ethical and professional conflict for the
research partners announced two weeks ago.

I wonder how they will react.

Best,
Tim

For a detailed legal overview of Titanic salvage by a law student,
click here:
http://www.law.emory.edu/fileadmin/journals/eilr/20/20.1/Miller.pdf