HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Fri, 8 Mar 2013 02:15:12 +0000
8bit
From:
"Branstner, Mark C" <[log in to unmask]>
Hi!

I want to thank everybody that responded to my question about the lead
object this morning ...

My first impression was that it looked like an oddball shotgun slug, but
the shape seemed aerodynamically unstable to my eye. I also considered
that it might be some form of saboted round, but again, the shape didn't
seem quite right.

Lyle Browning mentioned at least one Civil War-type round, but I don't
have access to that volume for comparison, but Benjamin Bara provided a
lot of great photos that include a near exact copy of my object:

http://s697.beta.photobucket.com/user/ellenbrs/media/Teschner%20Collath/zim
merbullets1.jpg.html?sort=3&o=18
http://nitroexpress.info/ezine/CptCurlFiles/Paradox_and_Bore_Rifles/lancast
er/slug_bore_paradox_cartridges/1122680.jpg

http://forums.nitroexpress.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=109526&page=0&fpar
t=all&vc=1)

Skimming over the photos and notes, the lead object appears to a be
"spitzer" type slug to be used in early cartridge guns dating to the
latter decades of the nineteenth century.  Given an approximate bore of
3/4-inch, that would put in the 10-12 bore (gauge) range. And since many
of the drawings, etc., are in German, it presumably was a European
development, but there appear to be American versions as well.

Again, thanks for everybody's thoughts!!! And thanks to Anita.

Mark

___________________________________

Mark C. Branstner, RPA
Historical Archaeologist

Illinois State Archaeological Survey
Prairie Research Institute
209 Nuclear Physics Lab, MC-571
23 East Stadium Drive
Champaign, IL 61820

Phone: 217.244.0892
Fax: 217.244.7458
Cell: 217.549.6990

"Mongo only pawn in game of life."  Mongo.