HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Mon, 23 Apr 2012 08:42:06 -0700
From:
Whitney Battle-Baptiste <[log in to unmask]>
8bit
Sender:
Spring 2012 Issue of African Diaspora Archaeology Newsletter

Greetings!

The Spring 2012 Newsletter is now available online at: http://www.diaspora.uiuc.edu/newsletter.html

In this Spring's newsletter, we feature: articles by Ayanna Flewellen, Justin Dunnavant, Christopher Baas, John Janzen, and David Palmer; a compiled list of archaeological fieldschools concerning African diaspora subjects by Christopher Barton; news reports and announcements; and a book review by Megan Springate. A table of contents is set out below.

Please contact our editorial team of Whitney Battle-Baptiste, Kelley Deetz, Christopher Barton, and John McCarthy if you have essays, analysis papers, book reviews, project reports, announcements, or news updates that you'd like to contribute to the African Diaspora Archaeology Network (ADAN) and Newsletter. This Newsletter is published quarterly, labeled previously as March, June, September, and December; starting in March 2012, we label these quarterly issues as Spring, Summer, Fall, and Winter.

*******
** Articles, Essays, and Reports **

Editors' Corner

Society of Black Archaeologists, by Ayanna Flewellen and Justin Dunnavant

The Effects of the Civil War on Land Ownership and Agricultural Production for Freedmen in St. Helena Township, South Carolina: Using the Agricultural Census to Evaluate and Interpret Material Culture, by Christopher Baas

Teaching the Kongo Transatlantic, by John Janzen

The Ephemerality of African Diasporic Materiality, by David T. Palmer

** News and Announcements **

2012 Archaeological Fieldschools, compiled by Christopher Barton

Bristol Archaeologists Unearth Slave Burial Ground on St. Helena, by Andrew Pearson, Ben Jeffs, Annsofie Witkin, and Helen MacQuarrie

Call to Save 'Slave' Cave Carvings at Guy's Cliffe House, by BBC News

Archaeologist, Black Feminist Unearths Contributions of African Diaspora, Everyday People, by Max Eternity

Advanced Metal Detecting for the Archaeologist, by Christopher Espenshade

New Books: The Archaeology of Colonialism: Intimate Encounters and Sexual Effects; Fatal Revolutions: Natural History, West Indian Slavery, and the Routes of American Literature; They Left Great Marks on Me: African American Testimonies of Racial Violence from Emancipation to World War I; Cultivating Race: The Expansion of Slavery in Georgia, 1750-1860; The Slave Trade and the Origins of International Human Rights Law; Escape from Texas: A Novel of Slavery and the Texas War of Independence.

** Book Review **

Review of "In The Shadow of Slavery: Africa's Botanical Legacy in the Atlantic World," by Megan E. Springate

Thank You,
ADAN team