HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Wed, 6 Oct 2010 09:40:20 -0400
From:
John Triggs <[log in to unmask]>
Hi Patrick,
I just completed a season of excavation at a site in Ontario on the Grand River.  This was Six Nations Territory after 1784. In addition to the Iroquois nations there were other allied groups there as well.  My work this spring indicates that the Delaware were occupying a small settlement between about 1780 to the early 1830s.  We recovered an American LA 1st regimental button from one context.  The Delaware were active on both sides of the border during the War and the find is not surprising.  I will be conducting further excavation on the site next year and am spending the intervening months looking at the assemblage of 10,000+ artifacts.  I will be happy to pass along any information on the site as it pertains to the War of 1812 as I procede.

A few years ago I excavated at Burlington Heights in Hamilton, Ontario.  The excavation report is available as an unpublished manuscript which I can pass along in pdf if your interests extend to the western end of Lake Ontario.

You may also be aware of the extensive work that Parks Canada has done at Fort Malden in Amherstburg, Ontario as well as forts along the Niagara frontier.

Best,
John

John R. Triggs, Ph.D.
Associate Professor, Chair
Department of Archaeology and Classical Studies
Wilfrid Laurier University
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
N2L 3C5
Room R106J
202 Regina Street
Tel. 519-884-0710 ext. 2156
Fax 519-883-0991

>>> Patrick Tucker <[log in to unmask]> 04/10/2010 4:18 am >>>

Looking for the facts of publication on excavated historical sites related
to the War of 1812 (CRM reports, published monographs, and journal
articles). Sites may be Military and non-military (domestic) impacted by the
War of 1812. The area of focus is the U.S. and Canada on both sides of the
Detroit River, and as far south as northern Ohio. Definitely not looking for
publications on the history of the War of 1812 or its battles. Any
assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Pat Tucker

Swanton, Ohio, USA