HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Elizabeth Newman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Jul 2011 13:03:15 -0700
There were also some pretty close connections between Mexico and the
Confederacy, especially during the French Intervention.  The Journal of Southern
History has some articles dating to the 1930s and 1940s (if memory serves...)
detailing the experiences of confederates who fled to Mexico during the Civil
War (Maximilian's government made special provisions for them in hopes that
large numbers of settlers would establish plantations and help bolster his
Government), and also some suggestions that the Confederacy was getting supplies
(including clothing) from Mexico.

All of that said, these are old articles and since my interest is on the Mexican
side of things, I'm not really up on the scholarship on this side of the border.
 But if you'd like all the citations, I can send along what I have later tonight
when I am somewhere I can access my endnote file.

Best,
Elizabeth

Elizabeth Terese Newman, PhD
Assistant Professor, History
Director, Environmental Humanities Program

Department of History
Stony Brook University
SBS 3-301
Stony Brook, NY 11794-4348

Office: Social and Behavioral Sciences S-349
Phone: (631) 632-7530
email: [log in to unmask]