HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
paul courtney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Apr 2011 17:01:50 +0100
Whatever method you use has problems as people selectively move finds eg
picking up bigger pieces which often tend to be rims or bases. I always
prefer to use at least 2 methods but one also has to intuitively think
about the biases- does your 100 sherds of a certain ware a come from a
single vessel. I always like the case of the 10th century site of
Colardelle in France occupied for 40 years on the edge of  a lake
perhaps a single family. It produced 50 silver coins, hundreds of
knives, pots etc and some very nice weaponry and musical instruments.
They excavated a nearby earthern castle to try and see if the family
might have moved there- and  found a handful of sherds of pottery.
However, all this tells us about the differing depositional histories of
the two sites. Another classic case is the London waterfront where they
used midden deposits to infill behind the medieval wharfs. i remmeber
when i first met my late friend Geoff Egan at a seminar he gave - I
asked him how many of a certain sort of medieval object they had found
on the waterfront and he answered hundreds and then how many from the
rest of London after half a  century of modern excavation and he
answered one possible example.

paul