HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Thu, 26 Aug 2010 14:11:21 -0400
  We have a double frame buckle recovered from a Civil War campsite.  It
is stamped "1861" making me think that it was a sling buckle for a model
1861 Springfield.  However, all the slings I have seen for the
Springfield are single hole.  Some replica websites suggest our specimen
might have gone to a carbine sling.  The only carbine I can find with an
1861 model is the Burnside.  Has anyone come across this buckle and
stamp or know if it is a Burnside Carbine type?  Archaeoseek users can
find a picture here: http://archaeoseek.ning.com/photo/12774-3?context=user

Thanks for the help.
Chris
--