HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Megan Springate <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 May 2010 14:21:01 -0400
Hi Kevin,

It is a thumbscrew, used to secure the coffin lid to the rest of the
coffin. Once home, I can check the coffin hardware catalogs I have to see
if I can find the source/date for that particular design.

Can you provide more information about your mass burial? There are a few
reasons I can think that a piece of coffin hardware might turn up there,
but without a little more info, I'm just guessing!

I am working on a book about mass-produced coffin hardware in North
America, and am intrigued. Please feel free to email me off-list.

Regards,
Megan Springate, MA, RPA