HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Patrick Tucker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Nov 2009 19:24:07 -0500
Looking for information on the firm of Doughty & Robertson of New York. I
have a Golden Age button with the name and state of this firm on the reverse
side of a brass button from a site that dates circa 1829.

I suspect that the firm was an importer of goods, particularly buttons, from
England. A Benjamin Doughty appears in the London directories of military
button manufacturers beginning 1828, and continued under various names until
1876. However, none of these firms' names has "Robertson" in its title. The
firm of "Burgess & Goddard, New York" was an importer of Staffordshire
ceramic wares from various firms. Goddard was a British manufacturer of
ceramics and Burgess was a New York importer during the 1880s-1890s. The two
formed a partnership to sell ceramic wares throughout the United States. I
suspect that the "Doughty & Robertson/New York" firm was a similar import
business like "Burgess & Goddard."

Do any of our New York friends have any information or sources to consult on
the firm of Doughty & Robertson, and know of any buttons from excavated from
sites with good archaeological and historical context?

Regards,

Pat Tucker

Swanton, Ohio