From:
malcolm roe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 May 1993 17:38:47 +0100
> Every paint that includ lead ( and many are) will reflect U.V. Good luck
>  Dan Eisikowitch
>
> On Mon, 24 May 1993, John E. Burns wrote:
>
> > I am trying to figure out where I could get some UV-reflecting paint.  Can
> > anyone help me?  The type of paint that could be used to paint artificial
> > flowers.  Thank you.

I may be wrong but I would be suprised if lead paints were good UV
reflectors.  The 2nd edition of Color Science by Wyszecki and Stiles has
a number of spectral reflectance curves for building materials including
enamel paints.  By enamel I assume that they mean alkyd resin paints.
All 12 samples, covering a wide range of colours, exhibit very poor
reflectance below 400nm, no better than black paint in the visible range
(i.e. <0.05).  On the other hand, certain sheet metals, particularly
aluminium, are quite good UV reflectors (0.3 to 0.4).  Perhaps you could
make your artificial flowers out of aluminium and paint only those parts
that you want to be dark in the UV.

--
Malcolm Roe                            Phone  :  +44 442 230000 ext 4104
Crosfield Electronics Ltd              Fax    :  +44 442 232301