From:
Edward E Southwick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 Apr 1993 21:35:34 -0400
º  Edward E. Southwick             Department of Biology         º
º  Lab: 716-395-5743               State University of New York  º
º  Voice Mail: 716-395-2193        Brockport, New York 14420     º
º  FAX: 716-395-2416               U.S.A.                        º
º  BITNET: Southwik@Brock1P                                      º
º  Internet: [log in to unmask]                º
Thank you for the input on blue pollen!  Here in upstate NY, some
of the suggestions are less likely than others.  I am now checking
it out.  The bees are still bringing it in.  I am suspicious that
it actually may be from our maples (altho that's supposed to be
grey).

The discussion about bee flight is interesting.  We are currently
working on wing shape and air flow on honey bee wings.  Any idea
what may be the function of all the little hairs all over the wings?
They look like so many pitot tubes!  I reviewed the McMaster masterpiece
on the history of the non-flying bumblebee in 989.  Entomological engineering.
989.  Entomological engineering.  American Bee Journal 129(5):341-342
That was in 1989.  The history is that calculations were made assuming
that the wings were flat plates.  They are not!  They are only flat
between the wing veins which give structural stability (as well as
morphological systematic information).  Here are a few refs to bee
flight:
Casey, T.M., May, M.L.1988.  Morphometrics, wing stroke frequency
and energy metabolism of Euglossine bees during hovering
flight.Biona Report.  W. Nachtigall, ed.  Fischer, Stuttgart.1:1-10

Nachtigall, W., U. Rothe, P. Feller, R. Jungmann.  1989.  Flight of the honey
bee III.  Flight metabolic power calculated from gas analysis,
thermoregulation and fuel consumption.  J. Comp. Physiol. B. 158:729-737.

I also appreciate the information and especially references provided by
a number of BEE-L'rs on orientation by bees.  von Frisch showed years
ago that they really do orient to the sun's position which fits most of
the reported results...