From:
Joel Govostes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 4 Jun 2011 08:13:45 -0700
Some notes on my experience with the plastic frame/foundations:

The foundation surface of the PF100s tends to be bowed to one side, which is annoying and does not allow the use of 10 combs in the brood nest.  The cells on one side will be too shallow for proper brood rearing. That is, unless you face all of the bowed surfaces in the same direction.

This bowing causes a problem with the interchangeability with good brood combs in wooden frames. (Unless you use 9s for brood.)

If you lay a straightedge across one of these, undrawn, you will probably see that the distance from the straightedge to the foundation surface is quite different from one side to the other, meaning the resulting cells will not be of uniform depth.

I have also seen this quite a bit with the Pierco deeps. It is not a noticeable problem with PF120s, due to the shorter, ~ 6" span.

My own bees made a mess of some of the PF100s on the first attempt, with lots of drone and strange transition cells, but
after I scraped down the errant sections of comb and rewaxed with a
roller, they have done better on the second try!

J in MA