From:
"J. Waggle" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Jun 2011 20:55:19 -0400
Hello,

I am seeking information related to what the
the current consumer demand is, percentage wise
for sales of each strain of bee bred in the
United States.  And what trends the breeders
might be noticing.  Might Glenn Apiaries or other
commercial breeders perhaps be willing to provide
percentage figures?

As all strains of bees are now becoming
more resistant to varroa and associated
miladies.  Beekeepers should begin to see
improvements on most aspects of beekeeping,
including the bottom line.  Resistance should
become less of a concern with consumers, and
customer demands will begin to reflect this.  Demand
for certain traits should begin to take priority
over resistance. -That is, if what occurred during
the years following the other great bee hardships
repeats itself.  I'll hold my opinions on this part
to myself as to what I think will occur with
customer demand.

But I will shed light on another trend which
occurred after a bee hardship, that
in some ways mirrors what is occurring in
the years after varroa.

Looking at this from the historical perspective.
There is strong argument for innovations in hive
design during the 19 century to be directly motivated
by the devastation caused by a pest never before
seen in America, -the waxmoth.  History shows rapid
innovation in hive design occurring during the time
waxmoth was destroying apiaries in the North
East, from 1806 to the 1840's, During the early 19c
new hive designs were advertised to 'protect against
the ravages of the miller'.  Waxmoth proof hive claims
begin to subside somewhat by the 1850's with
Langstroths design.

In the years after varroa we see top bar hives,
the warré hive, special hive gadgets, mesh
floors etc.  All said to improve the bees ability to
defend against varroa.  Not intending to get in a
debate about these types of hives or gadgets.  Just
illustrating from a historical perspective that great
hardships in the bee industry, lead to innovation
in beekeeping.

Best Wishes,
Joe Waggle
http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/HistoricalHoneybeeArticles/