From:
Juanse Barros <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Dec 2010 18:22:11 -0300

> > A jig of some sort that would hold a frame in a constant position, and
> with reference to the sun so that the light is perfect in the cells is a
> project I keep thinking about.  It would have to be lightweight and easy to
> carry.  Combining it with a frame hanger of the sort that holds frames in
> normal position on the side of the hive could be ideal.
>

> >For comparing hives, such a jig would be just the thing, since, instead of
> estimating brood in the yard, the frames need only be quickly  photographed
> and replaced in the hive.  Later, any anomalies can be revisited.  A way of
> labeling each shot would be important, so maybe wheels with numbers and/or
> letters in the corners of photos or some other sort of incrementing and
> meaningful visual marker could be devised.

We baptized that jig as an "Apiscopio" or Apiscope (like a telescope, a
microscope, etc)

On a Vet Thesis done autumn 2007, we tested different supplements. The girl
that did the thesis market each frame on each side with the letter of the
box and the original/first position of the frames. On one side simply the
letter (like a1) and on the other side the letter with an apostrophe (like
a1' ). These were 5 frame nucs started as 1.5 kg packages, with 4 frames
plus a frame feeder (FF).

Once a week she placed each frame in the Apiscope and took a picture. Then
rotate the same frame for a picture of the other face of the frame. That for
each frame of the nuc and each nuc in the experiment. In total she took
4x2x25 pictures each week for I do not remember how many weeks (but many).
She always started from the same side of the nucs (left to right hand
standing on the back).

Example: Nuc A (at start).

a1 a1'  a2  a2'  a3  a3'  a4  a4'  FF

As each picture was taken from the same distance, all pictures/frames were
at scale. Therefore this allowed to register each picture in a geographical
information system to latter vectorice the different reading we wanted (area
with brood, area with pollen, area with nectar/honey, area not drawn, etc).

Yes before each picture, we shaked the bees out of the frames and into the
nuc boxes.

Was a very tedious job at the lab, but fast in the field.

The nomenclature in the frames also let us register the frame juggling we
ended up doing.

Example (after some time):

a2 a2'  a3'  a3 a4  a4'  FF (a1  a1')  (for a weak nuc)

a2' a2 a1 a1' a3' a3  a4 a4' FF  (for a strong one)

--
Juanse Barros J.
APIZUR S.A.