Discussion of Bee Biology <BEE-L@ALBNYVM1>
Date:
Mon, 26 Feb 90 12:23:00 MST
I   recently  received  the  following  letter, which may be of interest to
readers of Bee-line. If  you want a copy of the membership form you could
write to  me at the address below, or respond by e-mail:

David Inouye
Mountain Research Station
University of Colorado
818 County Road 116
Nederland, CO 80466

Dear Colleague:

     As  stated in Bee World (1986) 67(3):89, the  objectives  of
the   International   Commission  for   Plant-Bee   Relationships
(formerly the International Commission for Bee Botany) are:

1)   to   promote  and  coordinate  research  in  the   area   of
relationships  between  plants  and insects  of  the  superfamily
Apoidea.   This research shall be concerned  with  physiological,
ecological,   ethological,   and  agronomic   relationships,   in
particular with reference to:
     -insect-pollinated plants
     -foraging behavior of bees
     -effects of pollinators' visits on plants
     -management and protection of pollinating bees
     -materials collected by bees on plants
     -products derived from plants and elaborated by bees

2)  to  organize meetings, colloquia or symposia related  to  the
above, and to publish and distribute their proceedings, and

3)  to  collaborate  closely  with  national  and   international
institutions  interested in the relationships between plants  and
bees,   particularly  those  whose  objectives  are   to   expand
scientific  knowledge of animal and plant ecology and  flora  and
fauna protection.

     The ICPBR currently consists of various Working Groups, such
as  "Pollination",  "Bee  Protection",  "Honey",  "Pollen",   and
"Nectar".   Since  1987  the  "Nectar  Working  Group"  has  been
inactive,  due  to  the  lack  of  a  leader.   Following  recent
correspondence  with  Dr.  J. N.  Tasei,  Secretary-Treasurer  of
IBPBR,  I have agreed to serve as Acting Leader, in an effort  to
revitalize  this  important  Working  Group.   Through   periodic
newsletters,  I hope to keep members of the Nectar Working  Group
informed of new, and older, research developments in the field of
nectar  secretion.  Your suggestions for Nectar Group  activities
and ideas for the newsletter are welcome.

     I  am trying to compile a list of researchers who  would  be
interested in becoming members of the Nectar Working Group of the
ICPBR.   To  do  this, I have been scanning  the  literature  for
papers   which   relate  to  nectar,  in  the   broadest   sense:
physiological and ecological aspects of nectar secretion, nectary
structure  and  ultrastructure, plant breeding for  high  nectar,
nectaries  in  plant taxonomy, etc.  In other words,  it  is  not
essential  to have an interest in bees, per se.  If you  wish  to
join the ICPBR as an associate member, and to continue to receive
further  issues of this newsletter, please complete the  enclosed
Membership Form, indicating your interest in the Nectar or  other
Working Groups, and return the form to me:

     Mr. Art Davis
     Plant Cell Biology Group
     Research School of Biological Sciences
     The Australian National University
     Canberra, ACT 2601   Australia
I  shall then forward the forms to Dr. J. N.  Tasei.   Presently,
membership in IBPBR is free.